25.6.09

The Grocery Guru

On Tuesday, April 28th, my friend Paige calles me up to see if I would like to go with her to a class at the library with the Grocery Guru. She said that he talks about how you can get groceries for really cheap. My initial thought was,"Sure I'll go, what could it hurt? At least I'll have a break from Char and Lynn will have to put her to bed." So we went.
He talked about how you shop for only things that are on sale from one store and then if you have a coupon to add to the sale item to make it even cheaper. And in his plan you have to get at least two Sunday papers to get the Smart Source and the Valassis adds. (They have all the coupons.) Then you can go to his website and he does all the planning out for you. He said that he does different stores, but I have only seen him do Albertsons.
Anyway, after the class you can pay him $10 to go shopping with him. Paige really wanted to do it and I was courious, so we signed up to go shop with him. So we met up with The Grocery Guru and 6 other women at an Albertsons to shop. It was actually quite humerous. Eight women with carts following this man who is telling them what to put in their carts. I have to say that it was really fun and all this stuff (plus you got tw0 movie tickets for free) was only $40.00!!! I have to say I was hooked.

We started to get two Sunday papers (that's only $2 every Sunday) and putting them in a binder. I knew it would take some time to get the hang of it. Then Paige told me about a site called athriftymom.com that kind of does the same thing that The Grocery Guru does. So I started checking that site out and I LOVE it. The problem with The Grocery Guru is that if you don't do his list excactly as shown and get what he gets, you might not get the best deals. On athriftymom.com she actually explains what to do, different ways to do the sales and she also gives you links for coupons.

Now, I am not one to shop cheap. I think most stuff in dollor stores is crap (however, I do find a good thing once in a while) and I usually only go to thrift stores or yard sales to see if I can get a good deal on furniture or for a good laugh. But I have to say that I am hooked on this coupon thing!! I actually look forward to getting the new sale add for Albertsons on Tuesday. I have stocked us up on salad dressing, cereal (a buttload of cereal), Kraft Mac n cheese, Pasta salad, frozen meals and many other misc things for really cheap. We have never had a food storage but I have had a strong feeling that we NEED to get it started. Especially with a new baby on the way!! Now we have a great start and we got is all at least 75% less that if we paid full price!!!

No comments: